Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The TAO TE CHING - VERSE 8

Stephen Mitchell's interpretation of the 8th verse of the Tao states, The supreme good is like water, which nourishes all things without trying to. It is content with the low places that people disdain. Thus it is like the Tao. In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don’t try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present. When you are content to be simply yourself don’t compare or compete, everybody will respect you.

I resonate with this verse because I love water (the name traveling mermaid might give me away). I am more at home in, on, or around water than anywhere else on this planet. So using water as an analogy for the best way to live life makes perfect sense. I like to swim laps several times a week and when I do I find I can clear my head of all the muck my mind & more specifically my ego tries to get me to think about. So in that way, as in many others, water cleanses me. So how appropriate for me when Byron Katie while discussing this verse states, "When the mind is clear, life becomes very simple." A true statement by my book yet how hard it is to clear the mind.

So this week my plan is to let my life flow like water heading downstream. If I should meet any blocks as I flow along my way I shall take the path of least resistence just like water. Doesn't that sound peaceful?

I think I'll even imagine the sound of water as I flow through this week. I don't know anyone who thinks of a flowing stream and doesn't feel like sighing. Maybe I can illicit that same feeling from everyone I come in contact with this week also. What a wonderful service I would be providing everyone I meet if I could make them sigh. Wow, now I'm excited to see if flowing like water can help bring a feeling if peace to all.

Happy sailing everyone.

References:
Mitchell, Stephen (2009-10-13). Tao Te Ching (p. 6). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

The Laozi (2009-10-04). The Tao Teh King, or the Tao and its Characteristics (Kindle Locations 29-30). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition.

Mitchell, Stephen; Katie, Byron (2007-02-06). A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are (p. 13). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Dyer, Wayne Dr. 1 Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life, Audio Version, (Disc 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment