Thursday, January 20, 2011

TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE

I apologize to my readers as it has been almost three weeks since I last picked up the pen to dance with my words and create something unique and hopefully interesting.   But I have been consumed by my writing and have not wished to be sidetracked from my tasks.  For this reason I have made the heady decision to turn this blog into a journey through the ins and outs, ups and downs and sideways of reaching my ultimate goal.....to be a successfully published children's book author.  AND I AM ON FIRE!

First I finished the next draft of my novel, INDIGO, and cast it into the hands of my writing mentor (who prefers to be called Book Doctor) for feedback before I begin another revision.  Then I met with this illustrious doctor and received the good news that the book is in much better shape than the last revision.  My main task at hand?  Create a chronology of "What does each character know at this point" as this is a thriller and I need to make sure the characters are true to the story line.

While I awaited my revision assignments I seized the opportunity to continue the saga of the novel, UNCLE SAM, about a young rebellious high school girl who comes of age in a college town in 1970 when she is forced to chose between her Canada bound draft-dodging boyfriend and her seventeen year old Amish uncle who has been diagnosed with leukemia and is in a fight for his life.  After writing ten chapters I now wait with bated breath (not really but it sounds more poetic) for word from the doctor on his first impressions.

And last but not least I slaved all afternoon at the bookstore recently to find children's books similar to KIVA AND THE STONE NATION.  Then I foraged the internet to find the names of the literary agents for each book.  Next task will be to send out a query letter, per their internet instructions, to continue the formidable task of finding the perfect literary agent.  I am confident there is an agent who will fall in love with KIVA and make her their next project.

Each future post will provide you an update of my writing and publishing journey and at the end of the post I'll keep you informed on other mundane facts such as what book I'm reading, what food I'm eating (just for fun) and what spiritual applications I may be trying at the moment, plus anything else the tickles my fancy. I hope you enjoy this new format and I would love to hear from you about what you think.  Especially this week on how you like my elevator speech (the one sentence explanation) of my new novel UNCLE SAM.

HAPPY READING!

Books I'm reading:  WHEN YOU REACH ME, by Rebecca Stead & SCAT by Carl Hiaasen
Food I'm eating:  Eggs and cinnamon toast
Spiritual process: 
          Affirmation:    "I am a financially, professionally and with the children, successful published author.
          Visualization:  Experiencing the excitement of signing books at the Barnes and Nobel bookstore in      Bonita Springs.

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to take this journey with you, aunt sarah! glad you're chasing your dream!

    ReplyDelete