Saturday, October 31, 2009

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

    I've heard the legends and stories about this holiday a couple of times before but today I thought I'd refresh my memory on where Halloween originated. Hallow meant sanctify in old English and many Christian religious traditions observe November 1st as All Hallows (now often called All Saints Day). Pope Boniface IV in the 7th century, believed that the best way to convert pagans was to supplant their pagan holidays with Christian ones so they created All Hallows on May 13th, as a day to celebrate all the saints and to replace the Roman pagan festival of the dead that was celebrated on February 21st, the end of the Roman year. Later another pope moved the date to November 1st to coincide with the Druid fire festival called "Samhain" (pronounced sow-een).

    The Druids were the high priests, scientists and poets of the Celtic culture (Ireland, Scotland & Wales) and the Celts called this celebration of the fire festival, Hallowe'en to honor the dead at the close of harvest and the beginning of winter (which back then was considered to last until May). Winter was also considered the time when faeries were most active. This belief evolved over time into the belief that it was the day when ghosts were able to mingle with the living. Even though the Roman Catholic Church tried to change the holiday to more honor the saints than the pagan beliefs, the Celts continued to celebrate it as the time when the dead and the supernatural wandered the earth.

    The tradition of trick or treating came from the custom of setting out gifts of food and drink to ward off the evil spirits. Over time, people began dressing up like these creatures and went "mumming" to obtain the food and drink. In England, soul cakes were placed outside the doors and people went "a'soulin." Other customs of the Samhain festival that continue to this day are bobbing for apples and drinking spiced cider.

    The Jack-o-lantern originated from a myth about a man named Stingy Jack who tricked the devil into agreeing he wouldn't go to hell when he died. After his death, heaven wouldn't let him in because he was too evil so he asked the devil to let him into hell. But the devil had to keep his promise so Stingy Jack had nowhere to go. The devil threw him an ember from the fires of hell to light his way as he wandered the world searching for a final resting place. Since Stingy Jack was always stealing turnips from the fields, he placed the ember into a carved out turnip and turned it into a lantern. It was the Irish who then started the custom of carving various vegetables (especially gourds) and placing them outside their doors to keep Stingy Jack from coming to their place on Hallow E'en. After they immigrated to America they realized pumpkins were much easier to carve and thus the modern custom began.

    Isn't it amazing how many customs and cultures were involved in the creation of this now very fun holiday. Tonight, I will don some outfit (nothing elaborate mind you) and head out to a party with friends. Now that I know the origins of this holiday I will offer food and drink to those I meet along the way, just in case they might be an evil spirit. Stay safe as you head out tonight for you never know what spirit might be watching you. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Laughing is one of the best medicines!

    One thing that I got in the habit of doing is laughing at myself. I don't know about you, but my thoughts never stop zooming around my head and I can think some pretty ridiculous things. So I remember to laugh when I even think something funny or when I realize that all of the random thoughts in my head at that moment made absolutely no sense, or if I trip or anything. I laugh at myself when I am walking down the street and then I laugh at the fact that the person who just walked past me probably thought I was crazy. I laugh at myself with friends because it gives them leave to laugh as well and even if I am doing something stupid, if they are my friends they will love me anyway. And I laugh at myself when I am alone. I laugh alone in my room all the time and then I laugh at the thought of someone seeing me through a window laughing at nothing because they can't see what I am thinking.
    So if your interested, that is another thing you can add to your list. It will make you feel better and it leads to other nice thoughts, a domino effect. :-)

    Love,
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, I meant for this comment ^ to be under your "Laughter, it's a natural high" entry, but I Loved reading about the origin of Halloween too!

    Love,
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete