Wednesday, October 28, 2009

PUTTING THE SKIDS ON THE SLIPPERY SLOPE

    Woke this morning to what sounded like my cat playing with cellophane. Turned out to be frozen precipitation blowing against my bedroom window. My first reaction was an all over body depression. Ugh, snow. Then my mind began to unravel all the reasons I hate snow. But I stopped myself. Because I've been down this slippery slope before and the only place it takes me is to my pity party where I spend hours and hours (and sometimes days and days) feeling miserable. So I took a deep breath, acknowledged the feelings invading my body and put the skids on the slippery slope. Then I chose a different route. I began counting my blessings. For I have many. I was thankful for the warm bed I was sleeping in. The furnace that kicks on when the temperature in my townhome drops below 70 degrees. The fireplace where I'm going to build my roaring fire this morning. The coffee I plan to drink lots of today.

    So why am I expounding upon all these items that have nothing to do with snow against my window? Because I believe it is our thoughts that create our feelings and we all have a choice on what we think. But I also believe it takes practice to keep from sliding down that slippery slope more than a few inches. So in case you're interested, here's how I put the skids on that slippery slope this morning. Step one: I took time to recognize what I was feeling to begin with. If I wasn't aware of the depression that was setting in over the snow I wouldn't be able to change it. Step two: I stopped the unwanted thought. I often literally say "Stop" out loud, or at least inside my head. I've told clients that if they can't stop it themselves at first, say "Sarah said to stop it," until they can. Step three: I picked a thought I wanted to replace the old one with. For me this morning, it was to create my gratitude list because that always makes me feel better. But I could also tell myself all the positive aspects of snow or pretend I was at the beach. I just have to pick any thought that makes me feel better than the one before. It doesn't have to be a thought that makes me feel joyous, any thought that makes me feel better than the original thought will move me in the right direction.

    I know this sounds easier than it is. But I've spent many years now using this technique. When I first started, I put sticky notes on my mirror and I used a watch that rang on the hour to remind me to stop and ask myself how I was feeling. Then if I didn't like my feeling, I would step through this process to change my thoughts. As I told a friend yesterday, I am now happy 98% of the time. Why? Because after years of spending maybe 50% of my time happy, I realized I like feeling happy so why not do what it takes to be happy. Today I did what it takes. I stepped through this process and it worked. So if you find yourself on the downhill side of the slippery slope today, I hope one of your choices will be to try this technique and see if you too can begin to put the skids on your downward trajectory and choose to head towards happiness instead.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Sarah. It's been nearly a decade since we have traveled down this electronic road together. Gary turned me to your blog this morning and I look forward to reading it. I am understanding your thoughts about the changing season. I relish the sun coming through my windows at any season, especially now. I will find ways to deal without it for a few days. I am 100% retired, but keeping busy at reading, writing poetry and loving the company of my five wonder cats. Have a cup of hot coffee for me.

    ReplyDelete