Friday, January 29, 2010

LISTENING TO MY GUT

    I changed my mind this week because I listened to my gut. It was telling me the decision I was about to make wasn't right. It's about the house I made an offer on. I was so caught up in finding a place, and so disappointed that most of the condo associations in south Florida don't allow big dogs that I started searching for a house. There's only one problem with that: I really don't want a house. I had a house 2 years ago and I sold it because I was tired of the maintenance (even having to hire someone to maintain it is a hassle). Plus I want someplace where I have access to a pool so that I can swim. I'm a mermaid, I love to swim. But I ignored my true wants and went looking for a house in a neighborhood I liked, not far from the beach. Unfortunately, in my price range many of the houses in that area are not in very good shape. Finally, I found a cute little house in decent shape and decided to buy it. Forgetting I don't want a house I proceeded to talk myself into it by seeing myself in the house, riding my bike to the beach, writing out on the lanai and ignoring that fact it doesn't have a pool and there isn't one nearby. I offered a price anyway. They countered, I countered back and I was sure we were on the path to success when a strange thing happened. The owner got angry at me for my counter offer and decided she didn't want to sell to me. It surprised me because I thought this was the house I was supposed to buy. But she did me a huge favor. She gave me time to think. And when I did I realized I was countering and hesitating and feeling ambivalent about everything (not just the house). I didn't know why. That's when I took the time necessary to ask myself the most important question in this situation: what do I really want. I listened to my gut. I listened to my higher self. I listened to my Source. Then I talked it out with my sisters. Here's what I heard: I don't want a house. I want a place where I can close it up and a leave for long periods of time and not have to worry about it, except maybe a friend stopping by occasionally to make sure it is okay. I want access to a pool but I don't want to have to maintain a pool. I want to be close enough to the beach to ride my bike. That is not this house. It's not any house. So I'm back to the drawing board, searching for the perfect condo that fits all my criteria. I know it is out there. I trust that I will find it. It is just a matter of time. All I have to do is keep trusting my gut.

No comments:

Post a Comment