Saturday, January 16, 2010

TURNING MY ENVY INTO TRUST

    I daydream as I sit in the Charlotte, NC airport with a 3 hour layover waiting to board my flight back to Ft. Myers. On the flight down from Denver I started watching the movie Julie and Julia on my Ipod. Not long into the story I found myself extremely envious of the main character, Julie, who started a blog about her experiences creating all the recipes from the Julia Child's French cookbook in one year. The blog attracted thousands of readers and eventually she received a book contract for her efforts. This is a writer's dream and because it is based on a true story, my own envy ensued. I dream daily of that moment when my literary agent (the one I don't have yet) calls me on the phone to say a publisher (wishfully a company on the caliber of HarpersCollins) loves my book, wants to publish it and believes it will be a huge success. So as soon as I realized my envy, I turned to the metaphysical teachings I metaphorically carry around in my back pocket, for they tell me to diligently hold onto the truth that if I continue to step towards my dreams in a positive, loving way, letting go of the specific outcomes, then someday my dreams will come true, maybe not exactly the way I dreamed them, but as good if not better than my little human brain can imagine. So I pause right now and see myself someday in the not too distant future, sitting in my office (which in my daydream is the lanai of my beach house), and step out into my backyard (which is actually the beach on the Gulf of Mexico) to watch the sunset with my significant other, who comes up behind me, puts his arms around me, and tells me how much he loves me (which I willingly reciprocate) and informs me that my literary agent just called to say Harpers wants to publish my fifth book. Isn't that an awesome dream? So my step today is to trust that with each word I write I move closer and closer to the manifestation of this dream. My job right now is to turn the negative thought of envy into the positive thought of trusting the process I know to be true and then just write, talk about it, send out my manuscripts and write some more.


 

Now on a less fun note but still on the subject of manifestations, my heart goes out to the people of Haiti. I appallingly heard someone the other day say that the earthquake did not surprise them considering the political unrest that has plagued that country over the centuries, inferring that these poor, innocent people created this catastrophe. Although I believe that we are co-creators of our realty, and can influence our future by what we think and do, I do not believe we mere humans have that much "power" over mother earth even if every single person on this planet visualized the earthquake at the same time. Gaia is way too powerful and has full control over her own behavior. As any scientist will tell you, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and the like, are part of the natural growing process of our planet. They are not God's vindictiveness, or humanity's punishment for wrong doing. Instead, I think of it as Mother Earth going through adolescence or menopause, or something similar to the numerous physical stages we humans experience over a lifetime. So depending on how old you think Mother Earth is (and there is still some debate on that), she is maturing and growing and in doing so, she often creates havoc for the organisms that reside on her skin. The God of my understanding would never intentionally inflect pain and suffering on us, we just are often at the wrong place at the wrong time. Please join me in supporting our suffering fellow travelers on this big blue planet by sending our thoughts, prayers, love and money to help them rebuild their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment