Monday, March 22, 2010

HIT THE REFRESH BUTTON

    I awoke to rain this morning. I love the sound of rain as I drowsily lie in bed. What a glorious downpour. I lay there longer than usual just because of that sound. Now several hours later the clouds are parting and the sun is peaking through. The dog and I walked the beach a little while ago and enjoyed the freshness of the air, the cleanly feeling of the sand, the fresh churning of the sea. When we first arrived on the beach there was but a handful of people walking. By the time we left dozens had arrived, taking in the beautiful and contrast of the dark clouds to green water to the rays of the tiny patch of sun. Everything felt refreshed.

    The beach walk reminded me of how I have to refresh my thoughts on a regular basis just as the rain refreshes the earth. For example this weekend I was describing to a new friend that I am a carboholic. She suggested I change that thought in my brain to something more positive for as long as I say I'm a carboholic, I will be a carboholic. She was right and in pointing out this faux pas to me she hit my refresh button. Often I get stuck in an idea of what I used to want or what I think has happened or what I believe about myself that no longer serves me well. In these moments where I become aware of these thoughts I can make a conscious decision to hit the refresh button on my brain, just as I hit a refresh button for a website, or how the pouring rain is the refresh button for Mother Earth. In doing so I can change my thought to what I want it to be. So instead of my saying I am a carboholic I can refresh my thought to say I am a healthy eater, then as I continue to say that thought about myself, my brain will help me move away from my old patterns of eating and help me to believe that I am a healthy eater.

    So what thoughts do you wish to refresh today? Take a moment to ask yourself what you are thinking right now that may not be serving you well anymore. Then hit the refresh button and choose the thought you want to think. Congratulations, you have begun the process of changing an old pattern into something more productive just by hitting the refresh button!

No comments:

Post a Comment