Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SEEING THE LESSON IN THE OBSTACLE

    Sometimes in the world of spiritual metaphysics we get the erroneous idea that if we put our intentions out into the Universe everything will proceed on an easy, smooth course and if they don't, it's a sign that we are on the wrong path. But sometimes obstacles appear in our way as sign posts, subtle directions telling us to make a slight shift. Yesterday, as my condo purchase progressed, what I thought was an insurmountable obstacle appeared in my way. Because of all the foreclosures in Florida my bank is acting very conservative about lending money and their conservatism became my obstacle. My first reaction (after my disappointment) was that the boulder was way to huge to overcome and I said, "Maybe this is a sign that I shouldn't buy this place." Then I thought about the place, about my dream of living close to the beach, about the great price I've been given on this condo and how much I see myself living there in the future. So I paused and let my creative juices flow towards what to do next. Within a few minutes I had an idea. I called my banker, he said what I had in mind was doable and immediately I felt relief that I was back on track. The interesting sidebar to this incident is that with this solution to my obstacle I will actually lower my monthly payments without having to put any more money on the table. So what at first I thought was an insurmountable obstacle and a sign that I should quit, turned out to be a better deal. For me this incident was a reminder to pause once in awhile and ask, "How important is this route to me?" When the answer was my resolve to continue full speed ahead and explore viable solutions to the problem, the solution appeared in my head almost immediately. Today I feel calm and serene about what has occurred, which to me is a message in itself. The entire incident was a reminder of a lesson I've learned in the past and forgotten: All obstacles are good because they are road signs. Sometimes the sign is to stop but sometimes the sign is just to make a slight adjustment in the direction because something better is around the curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment