Friday, April 9, 2010

INDIGO

    I don't have time to write a regular blog today as I'm way behind working on my novel. So instead I am included Chapter 4 of my book, Indigo. Hope you enjoy.


 

CHAPTER 4

The security guard, distracted by the normal hustle and bustle of the morning, nods his greeting as we navigate the maze of hallways to the building's exit. My unwelcome charge steps double time to keep up.             

"I take it you aren't coming over to swim again today," I say to Rain as we reach the street. I already know the answer.

    "I told you earlier I had something I had to do after we surfed. But later I thought I'd go to the pier to meet up with some of the guys."

    My heart sinks.

    "Why don't you meet me over there and we can all have lunch at the pizzeria."

    I shake my head. The idea of more than two minutes of mindless chitchat with his new buddies horrifies me. Any intelligent conversation the brainless wonders he calls friends may have once possessed---and I can't guarantee they ever did---has long since disappeared with the onset of puberty.

    I point to Crystal. "I have to babysit remember?"

"She can hang with us."

    "Who's us?"

    "Mike, Dillon, and Kaitlin for sure. Maybe a couple of others."

    "Oh yah, that crowd will love hanging out with a seven year old!" I say, sarcasm oozing from my lips.

    "Gees Indi, give these guys a chance, will ya?"

    As usual, he doesn't understanding that it's the "In" crowd who doesn't give me a chance. I change my tactic.

    "But I wasn't invited."

    "Come on Indi, you know you're always invited to come with me. We're a team."

     "Yah right."

    My anger rises and before I can take control of it my mouth opens.

    "Doesn't seem like it to me. You're always tripping all over your feet to get to Kaitlin."     

    Rain steps towards me in frustration, then loses his balance. One foot stumbles over the other and he goes down hard off the curb, landing dead center into oncoming traffic. A car leans on its horn and swerves, missing him by inches. I grab his arm and pull him up onto the sidewalk.

     Oops, I guess I shouldn't have said that, I think.

    "See what happens when you think about her. I know she has the hots for you and you seem to have the hots for her too."

     A red tinge splatters his cheeks and a half chuckle escapes his lips. "Stop it Indi. I don't have the hots for her."

    His fingers touch my arm. My legs jerk back as if they've been tapped by the doctor's hammer.

    "Whatever," I shout and before he can protest I backtrack to the aquarium entrance.

    Damn, I really do need to get control of myself.

    I grab the door handle then stop. I've forgotten something.

"Crystal," I cry and look around. She's gone.

"Where'd she go?" I call to Rain as panic rises in my throat. I glance over at the parking lot, then down to the beach. She's nowhere to be seen.

    Rain points towards town. "Look!"

    Golden red hair glistens in the afternoon sunlight as a tiny shape climbs the massive stone staircase of an old building a few blocks away before disappearing inside. I shudder as traffic buzzes past. She has crossed the two busiest streets in town.

    Rain grabs my hand. "Come on!"

    In front of the ancient stone structure we climb the enormous concrete steps to the top. The glass reads, "The O'Reilly Clinic." We bolt through the frosted doors and stop dead in our tracks. Inside, a damp, narrow hallway leads to a winding wooden staircase, suspended below grimy dim light fixtures that cast eerie black shadows against the walls.

     A lump forms in my throat as I motion for Rain to follow, then I hesitate, for thoughts of werewolves and vampires send chills up my spine. The old wood creaks beneath our weight as we slowly ascend. At the top we get a quick glimpse of a child disappearing around the corner.

    Our footsteps echo in the vastness of the stone corridor as we take chase, only to find ourselves at the entrance to a long dark empty hallway filled with dozen of closed doors. At the first one, I take a big gulp and push. The heavy wood creaks against rusted hinges, depositing me in a tiny room crammed to the brim with side by side hospital beds. Two little boys---oblivious to our presence----have been swallowed up by starched white hospital sheets. The only sound are slow steady heart beats echoing from identical wall monitors.

    Suddenly the door swings open and a tall, slender woman, wearing dark blue hospital scrubs, towers above us. A long pointed nose over a puckered mouth and pointed chin are framed by long black hair, a severe white streak running down the bangs. Her twisted face turns my heart to stone. A shot of electricity courses through my body.

    "Does this belong to you?" she spits out, indicating the small child caught between her hands.

    "You shouldn't be here?" She growls in a low husky voice that hisses between clenched teeth. Before I can react, the irate nurse grabs my shoulder and shoves me out the door. She glares at Rain and points her long boney finger at the exit.

    "This is no place for children to be playing," she adds, her words bouncing off the stone walls. She drags Crystal by the collar down the long hallway and through the double doors, depositing her next to us at the top of the staircase. As our feet peddle down the steps, she disappears back into the hospital room. Barely touching the creaking wood we reach the front sidewalk in record time. I catch my breath and glance down at Crystal. Giant tears flow over her cheeks.

    "We have to help him," she says between sniffles. I pull a tissue from my pocket and hand it to her.

"Help who?"

"The little boy, the one who was calling for help." I grab her hand and pull her towards the crosswalk.

"Crystal, I'll admit that place was too creepy for words, but no one was calling for help. You must be hallucinating."

The child turns pleading eyes to Rain. He shakes his head. "Sorry kiddo, I didn't hear anyone either."

He glances at his wristwatch. "I have to go."

Before I can respond he is half a block away yelling back, "I'll see you later."

No doubt late for a date with Kaitlin, I think as I drag my resisting charge towards the pizzeria.

    "You think your boyfriend is two timing you," Crystal taunts. I shove her through the doors of the restaurant.

"Rain is not my boyfriend."

No comments:

Post a Comment