Wednesday, December 16, 2009

LIFE TURNS ON A DIME

    Amazing how quickly life can blindside you. Sunday I was having a wonderful morning on my lanai when the phone rang and my landlord told me he had sold the condo I am renting, that it closes on January 7th but not to worry I would be able to stay until the end of February as planned. The news caused me some nervousness but I was glad he was looking out for me. Then yesterday, just as I was about to board my plane to fly home for a few days of work, the landlord called and said the new owner was upset that I had animals and I would not be able to stay after the close due to some new association rules. Needless to say my flight home was not the most pleasant as I was worried about how I was going to find another place in 3 weeks that would allow both a dog and 2 cats (an arthritic dog that doesn't climb stairs very well on top of it all). I spent much of the evening vacillating between disappointment, anger and worry. A call to a good friend to "vent" helped, but I still found myself waking every so often during the night thinking about the problem. Finding a place that takes pets is not an easy task and I spent over a week last February finding the one I'm currently renting. I projected out all sorts of issues and scenarios, none of them ending very happily. This morning I performed my yoga to clear my mind then opened my meditation book to a random page. "Surrender and Release," popped out at me. It was exactly what I needed and caused me to chuckle, which in turn added to my slow move towards serenity, before the feeling snowballed.

    In the whole grand scheme of the world I recognize that my having to find another rental place so that I can enjoy the Florida sunshine this winter is not earth shattering. I thanked God that I am not homeless and if I can't find another place I can pack up my bags and move home. The worst that will happen to me in this situation is that I will be cold and disappointed for the rest of the winter. So I expanded my gratitude list and it grew and grew until I truly felt the peace of Source inside me again. Once I let go, I was able to focus on the solutions instead of the problems. Just a few minutes ago I received a call from my landlady. She has been working furiously all day yesterday and this morning to find me another place. She has found two so far that they are going to look at on Saturday and Sunday and if they are presentable they will have me go by and look at them.

    It's amazing how life can turn on a dime, but just because a situation feels catastrophic at first light does not mean it will be so in the long run. This was a good reminder to me that I need to look beyond my first reactions and take all experiences as adventures. So today I'm off on a new path. I'll keep you posted on where this one leads me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment