Tuesday, December 8, 2009

TAKING CONTROL OF LIZZIE

    Lately my critic has been very vocal. I call her Lizzie because she comes from my automatic lizard brain at the base of my spine and since my middle name is Elizabeth it is a perfect fit. She's been telling me I'm fooling myself if I think I can write. She says I need to go get a regular job and quit hoping that someday I'll make money from writing. In my head she whispers that I don't deserve to have the flexible lifestyle I have created for myself, that I'm being selfish and self centered. And this morning she told me I needed to pack up my belongings and head back home because moving and changing my life is crazy. I'm trying not to listen to her.

    This week I began working the tasks in the book "The Artist Way." I am currently exploring the negative thoughts that surround my writing. As a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist I already know about the power of negative thoughts. But sometimes it's good to be reminded. I'm aware that over the last couple of weeks I've allowed Lizzie to speak her mind too loudly. Today I've decided to take back control. So here's what I'm saying to Lizzie when she tries to speak. "Thanks for sharing Lizzie. I appreciate that you are only looking out for me and my survival. But for right now I'm safe and I'd appreciate it if you would go sit in the corner and shut up." Seems to be working so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment