Monday, November 23, 2009

EVERYTHING'S BIG HERE

    Texas is an enigma. Everything here is huge. Especially the bulls that stand at the fence by the roadside watching me drive by. Tumbleweed blows across the road and is so big it sticks under the oil pan for miles. They match the landmass of this state, the 2nd largest in the country. It took me 6.5 hours from the time I rolled over the border to get to a town just north of Dallas (and that's coming in through the panhandle). It'll take me another 3 hours to get out of this state tomorrow.

    Texas hospitality is huge too. Went to the pool with my friend so I could swim laps. Met 2 ladies in the hot tub afterwards who were extremely nice. People in Texas are down home friendly. They have big accents too. Thick, sweet and syrupy. It reminded me of an interview when I was applying for graduate school in counseling. The woman asked me what was my number 1 prejudice. I immediately responded, "Texas accents." It's true, I must confess. My first impression of people with Texas accents is that they are uneducated. I know it's not true but still that's my first reaction. I lived in Texas for 10 years and know better, yet I still have that reaction. I had it again today. Sorry Texans. It's just a knee jerk reaction. Tomorrow I'll be gone from Texas and will not hear that accent again for quite awhile. In a way I'll miss it. Thanks Texas, your hospitality has been outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment