Friday, November 20, 2009

GROWN BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS

    The saga continues.....At age 36 I was married for one year and living in Colorado. Those two events changed my life forever. I had wanted to be married since I had become an adult, but I would not compromise on who I married in order to be married. So waiting to meet Gary had tried my patience. Yet it turned out to be the best things that ever happened to me. For during my years with him, I have experienced the greatest of joys and the deepest of sorrows.

    Age 36-42 I meandered through life. The biggest question I had to make was whether to have a child or not. We tried. It didn't happen. So the next biggest decision was whether to go to any lengths to have a child. The answer? Nah! End of story.

    From age 40-46 I continued to climb the corporate ladder and finally in 1998 I became the Human Resources Manager for the Denver Division. It was what I had been working towards for many years. I worked lots of long hours, we went on lots of great vacations, and we bought land in the mountains to eventually build a cabin. Our dreams were all coming true. I also discovered Unity teachings during this period in my life and they opened a new avenue of spirituality to me that has served me very well now for many years. Then in 2001 I applied for and was chosen to be an HR Manager in Kazakhstan. Gary was all for it. I would make lots of money, we could travel on my off time (I worked 28 days on and 28 days off), and it would be an incredible experience. So off I went on my great adventure not realizing that while I was gone my husband would implode. The years between age 47 and 51 became very trying and difficult due to my husband's binge drinking (four major drunks in one year, then 2.5 yrs sober only to binge drink again until it killed him). But inside those years were also some incredible times, especially our trips to Spain, Hawaii, Italy, and a wonderful cruise to Mexico. But the stress took a huge toll on my body and when, in 2005 my husband died from complications due to his drinking, I had high blood pressure, osteoporosis, high cholesterol, and was the heaviest I had ever weighed. Yet, spiritually I was more balanced and knew myself better than I ever had in my life. Thank God. Because the next year of grieving my husband while starting a psychotherapy practice was very difficult and without my faith I'm not sure where I'd be today. Since then I have grown in leaps and bounds and now live life to the fullest, stay in the moments, and am not afraid to risk to get what I want. Ironically, I have those difficult years to thank for giving me the confidence to live in the freedom I live today.

    So what will the next 18 years bring? Without a crystal ball I have no idea. But I do know that Florida, writing and a life partner are all part of that future. I also know I'm looking forward to it with excitement and enthusiasm. I hope you'll come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment