Saturday, November 21, 2009

HOWDY Y'ALL

    Remember the series, "On the Road with Charles Kuralt"? Well, for the next 10 days I will be "On the Road with Sarah Doyle". This morning I loaded my car with the dog, 2 cats, golf clubs, guitar, summer clothes and various essentials (like my coffee press) for my trek to Florida via Dallas and Charleston.

    Last night was a restless night as I tossed and turned, unable to quiet my mind from the churning lists of what to do, what to take and who to call. Needless to say exhaustion greeted me when my eyes opened this morning and within 2 hours of being on the road I was begging for Scottie from the Enterprise to beam me up and deposit me at my motel in Amarillo. But alas, it was seven hours from my starting point before I rolled into the motel and unloaded the dog, 2 cats, dog and cat food, cooler, food and my bag. Although it's like traveling with children, I can at least legally keep mine in cages while I go to the bathroom, register for my room and get something to eat. I'm sure there are parents out there who wish they could do the same.

     I am now safe and sound and vegetating in front of the TV watching Pirates of the Caribbean and drinking a beer. I'm proud of my animals as this is year two of our now annual trek and they have adapted quickly to our adventure. Anise, my little scaredy cat, hasn't hidden once and is currently kneading her blanket as she lies on the bed, ready to settle in for the night. Last year she never braved anything besides the underside of the bed. Cayenne, the other cat, is perched in the window checking out the other guests. She's quite the traveler and loves roaming free in the car. Her favorite perch for the ride is either the console next to me or on top of the cage, both places perfect for watching the passing truckers. Sharmin is crashed out in the corner snoring, pretty much what she's done all day. Our little menagerie is quite a sight and true entertainment for the other motorists.

    Tomorrow we're off to a little town north of Dallas to visit one of my very best friends for a couple of days. Nice to have friends who love me so much they are willing to welcome not only me but my three animals into their homes.

    So my plan is to provide you with interesting observations and entertaining stories along our journey. See y'all tomorrow (notice the Texas twang has already returned and I'm only 100 miles south of the Texas border).

No comments:

Post a Comment